Saturday, September 15, 2007

E is for Ent

E is for Ent.

When I was 17 I joined scouting. It was the last year I was eligible for Venture Scouts (14-17). Since most of my friends where active members of either Ventures or Rovers I decided I wanted to be a part of the cool stories I kept on hearing about. At first it was kind of strange, as although scouting in the older stages had been Co-Ed for sometime, females were still very much in the minority. The next year I moved on up to Rover Crew. 5th Poco Rovers had only formed up the year before, and as such alot of the trappings and ceremonies hadn't either been made yet, or were rough in the extreme. The one thing that was decided on very quickly was the name for our crew. The Venture company had been named the KGB. Kinda Good Boyz. A meeting was held, and after much ringing of hands and gnashing of teeth, the crew settled on the name, the Knights of Ent. Knights due to the crew following a knighthood/ squireship theme (the original 5th rovers Mark, John, and Joe had squired to 2nd Burnaby south knights of Loxley). Ent was from the lord of the rings (walking talking fighting, slow to action but when full riled complete terrors). I was squired to John, and was invested around 6 months later as a full knight. The 8 years I was active in scouting were some of the happiest times in my life. I miss having a chance to hang out with my crew mates on a regular basis.... ah memories.
















1 comment:

Unknown said...

I am *really* loving this alphabet meme - for the great stories and, just as much, for the pictures! :)