Thursday, September 13, 2007

D is for DumpTruck Haircut

D is for Dump Truck Haircut


My dad has owned and operated a dump truck for most of my life. It was a shiny red ’68 Mack truck, with a cool little bulldog mounted on the hood. It was either the late 70’s or the early 80’s, and I found myself sitting on my moms lap in the truck. I don’t know where we were headed, but at some point during the trip, my dad complained that he couldn't see his outside mirror cause my big ole head was in the way. My mom, trying to be helpful pushed my head towards the windshield. Now this wasn't a fancy truck, it didn't have a lot of bells and whistles. The defogger was a plain old fan mounted to the dash. The fan, my head now firmly shoved into the grill, caught a hold of my waist length hair and wound it up nice and tight. Well, with much crying and yelling, and a few futile attempts to yank my hair out of the fan, my dad finally cut the hair out with his pocketknife. I now was sporting a lovely 2” tuft of hair dead center of my hairline. Didn't really go with the waist length hair. For the first and only time as a kid, I had a short hair cut.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

You know, I've heard that story before and I still laugh every time I hear/read it.